McCullough Mills Covered Bridge
WORLD GUIDE #
||Little Northeast Creek
McCullough Mills Covered Bridge crossed Little Northeast Creek just north of North East, Maryland.
The contract for building McCullough Mills Covered Bridge was awarded to T.V. Rose. Mr. Rose drafted a letter to the Cecil County Commissioners about his obligation and intent to build the bridge. His letter, found in the County Commissioners Minutes of January 14, 1873 included detailed specifications about the bridge. In part, the letter stated that the bridge will be built over (Little) Northeast Creek near McCullough Rolling Mills, for $2,375. The wood work will be of the Burr plan, 75 feet apart from the face of abutments and 16 feet from out to out, to be covered by galvanized iron and roofing to project not less than 8' over the flooring and weatherboarding.
The "minutes" of June 10, 1873 declared "the bridge over Little Northeast Creek at McCullough Mills being finished and the same examined by Mr. Johnson and reported to come up to specifications, the same was accepted and an additional sum of $25 to contract ordered to be paid."
Unfortunately, McCullough Mills Bridge only stood for a short time. It was demolished during the June 26, 1884 flood. The Baltimore Sun, Cecil Whig and Appeal all carried an article about the loss of the bridge. The best description of the losses at McCullough Iron Company were reported in the Appeal on July 2, 1884:
A DESTRUCTIVE FLOOD
On the North East
Shanon's dam gave away under the pressure of the water which rushed through the Steam mill and North East mill of the McCullough Iron Company, allowing the hundred men in the works barely enough time to escape with their lives. The covered bridge at the works went down with the torrent, as did, also the blacksmith, and wheel wright shops and the small out buildings.
UPDATED: 06/28/2010, for date bridge was lost, 1884.